Position Summary: The Arts Classes and Events Coordinator develops and oversees classes and off-site day trips for adults. The Coordinator also assists with organizing and staffing a variety of public programs and events focused on arts education. The Coordinator works closely with the Curator of Arts Education, the Curator of Horticultural and Environmental Education, and the Horticultural/Environmental Classes and Events Coordinator. Flexibility will be critical to this role as the Education Department works to expand its staff and restart programs that have been on hiatus during the COVID-19 pandemic.
• Develops subject areas for classes and writes class descriptions
• Coordinates all logistics for adult classes, including: identifying and securing teachers, completing contracts and payments for teachers, reserving classrooms, purchasing and preparing class materials, etc.
• Manages the registration process for adult classes and off-site day trips, including: creating event templates, assisting guests with registrations or cancellations, approving scholarship applications, taking payments, creating rosters and attendance reports, etc.
• Staffs and manages “day of” class needs, including: classroom set-up, class check-in, participant surveys, and classroom clean-up
• Maintains a spreadsheet of revenue and expenses for classes and off-site day trips and works with the Curator of Arts Education and the Director of Education to meet revenue goals and monitor expenses
• Recruits and trains volunteers for classes as needed
• Serves as Manager on Duty as needed during some evening classes
• Teaches select classes
• Coordinates with the Curator of Arts Education to evaluate class content, instruction, and participant experience
• Develops, organizes, and staffs bus trips and other off-site days trips
• Coordinates with the Communications Department, the Curator of Arts Education and the Director of Education to promote classes and off-site day trips to members and the general public
• In close collaboration with the Curator of Arts Education, assists with coordinating and staffing a range of other public programs and events related to arts education, including but not limited to: lectures, sculpture exhibition programs, virtual visits and drop-in programs
• Coordinates educational technology for classes and other events and programs focused on arts education
• Participates in professional development relevant to the roles and responsibilities of the position
• Embrace and adhere to Meijer Gardens' mission, brand statement, operating model, policies, procedures, and guiding principles with a strong emphasis on professional behavior and the treatment of others with dignity and respect
• Embrace the fact we are a non-profit institution that serves the public and that you will work with a broad and diverse group of employees, volunteers, members, and guests
• A flexible and collaborative culture is important. Other duties may be assigned within the department as well as across the organization.