Cook & Cafe Assistant
Porter Hills Village
$500 Sign-on bonus offered to new team members
Status: Part-time, 16-29 hours/week
Shift: 10a-2p weekdays, four days per week and every other weekend, and holiday rotation required
The Team Members of UMRC & Porter Hills provide a unique and personal experience to each of our residents, while focusing on quality treatment and comfort.
Join our team of compassionate and skilled staff and love your career!
Benefits: Comprehensive Medical Insurance options for staff that work 30-40 hours/week, *Paid Birthday and Holidays, *Paid Vacation time, Retirement Savings Plan Opportunity, Wellness Reimbursement and Incentives, Tuition Reimbursement and Scholarship program, Uniform Allowance (for specific frontline Team Member positions), Discounted Team Member dining options on-site, FREE MEAL for Dining Services Team Members that work a 6 hour or more shift, annual increase, plus more!
DailyPay-Work Today, Get Paid Tomorrow!
The primary purpose of the Cook & Cafe Assistant position is to prepare food in accordance with current applicable federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations, with our established policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the Executive Chef to assure that quality food service is provided at all times. Position will provide assistance in all dietary functions as directed and in accordance with established guidelines and procedures. Provide excellent, friendly, and prompt service to residents, guests and team members by taking and filling orders with compassion and care.
-Follow all safety and sanitation rules and regulations.
-Promote a clean, safe, and neat environment for residents, self, and staff
-Demonstrate knowledge of fire safety procedures, and assist with evacuation of residents to a safe location in the event of fire or other emergency.
-Responsible for meal service and accuracy of residents’ orders.
-Responsible for creating an enjoyable dining experience for residents and their guests. Follow established style and order of service while serving in the resident dining room and at special functions.
-Possess the ability to follow instructions, work well with others and maintain a good rapport with residents and team members.
-Report all problems to a manager.
-Perform assigned tasks before and after meal service.
-Responsible for set up, cleaning, and break down of dish machine.
-Responsible for washing dishes, glasses, and small wares.
-Responsible for sweeping, vacuuming and mopping floors as directed and scheduled.
-Maintain areas in a clean-as-you-go condition.
-Follow established department uniform policy.
-Prepare meals in accordance with planned menus.
-Perform basic cook preparation work
-Exhibit proper knife skills
-Provide short order cooking
-Prepare and serve meals that are palatable and appetizing in appearance.
-Serve food in accordance with established portion control procedures.
-Prepare food in accordance with standardized recipes and awareness to allergens.
-Assist in serving meals on a timely basis.
-Perform other duties as assigned by management.
Review menus prior to preparation of food.
-Coordinates food service with other departments as necessary.
-Work with the Executive Chef and implement recommended changes as required.
-Assure that all culinary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies and regulations.
-Assist in standardizing the methods in which work will be accomplished.
-Assume the authority, responsibility and accountability as Lead Cook in their absence.
-Assure that menus are maintained and filled in accordance with established policies and procedures
-Assist in establishing food service production line, etc., to assure that meals are prepared on time.
-Assure that all dietary procedures are followed in accordance with established policies.
-Perform any necessary record keeping (i.e. temperature log, etc.).
-Coordinate dietary service with other departments as necessary.
-Cooperate and communicate with team members of other department in performing job duties, i.e. staff, and other department supervisors, etc.
Skills and Knowledge
- Able to read, write, speak, and understand the English language.
- Possess the ability to deal tactfully with personnel, residents, family members, visitors, government agencies/personnel and the general public.
- Function independently and have flexibility, personal integrity, and the ability to work effectively with older adults, personnel, and support organizations
- Must be comfortable entering orders electronically and handling cash
• Know, teach and live out the Mission, Guiding Beliefs of UMRC & Porter Hills.
• Manage from a position of compassion, passion and servitude.
• Customer Service is key to relationships within and outside the organization. Make this a program achievement.
Every effort has been made to make your job description as complete as possible. However, it in no way states or implies that these are the only duties you will be required to perform. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related, or is a logical assignment to the position.
- High School diploma or GED
- Must be at a minimum eighteen (18) years of age
NOTE: The rate of pay will be determined based on relevant employment experience. Your resume should adequately reflect all paid cook experience.
- Two (2) years short order cook experience in a restaurant, cafe, food service kitchen or other related environment preferred
- UMRC & Porter Hills are a federally funded program through CMS and the State of Michigan. All employees are expected to adhere to the Participant Rights.
- UMRC & Porter Hills provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability or genetics in accordance with applicable federal, state and local laws.