Under general direction, performs routine and occasionally more complex technical procedures and support functions in preparation of specimens for microscopic evaluation and reagents for the Histology Department. Organizes, prepares and accessions specimens for processing. Performs diener functions as required.
1. Supports laboratory activities related to laboratory testing (such as specimen labeling, computer order entry, specimen processing, etc.) to ensure accurate result reporting and quick turnaround time.
2. Supports clerical functions (computer order entry, accessioning, etc) of the laboratory to ensure efficient operations.
3. Performs quality frozen sections according to established procedure, including properly stained, thin full sections in a timely manner.
4. Files blocks and slides in organized fashion to allow for quick retrieval. Performs functions related to off-site storage and retrieval of blocks and slides.
5. Changes reagents on, maintains and loads the tissue processors to allow for quality and timely tissue processing. Perform the reagent recycling duties in a timely and safe manner.
6. Assist with tissue disposal tasks as required. Assist with deiner duties related to autopsies as required.
7. Documents and completes all required logs, requisitions, charts, reports and special projects as assigned.
8. Contributes to the efficient operations of the laboratory.
9. Participates in professional development to maintain job performance skills and competencies. Maintains skill levels required for the department.
10. Demonstrates adherence to Compliance policies as related to job duties.
This document represents the major duties, responsibilities, and authorities of this job, and is not intended to be a complete list of all tasks and functions. It should be understood, therefore, that incumbents may be asked to perform job-related duties beyond those explicitly described.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
A. Education / Training:
* High school graduate or equivalent required
B. Work Experience:
* Minimum 6 months laboratory experience or completion of an accredited clinical laboratory science training program.
C. Certification, Licensure, Registration:
D. Other Qualifications:
* Problem solving ability, mathematical skills, able to coordinate technical and support operations computer knowledge, good communication skills, excellent organizational and interpersonal skills.