Join a diverse and dynamic team that makes and delivers the most valuable services in the world: electricity and natural gas. At Consumers Energy, our customers are at the heart of everything we do. Our employees work around the clock to provide service to our customers in honor of our history and to fulfill our promise to Michigan - Count on Us! Consumers Energy, the principal subsidiary of CMS Energy and headquartered in Jackson, Michigan, provides natural gas and electricity to nearly 6.8 million of Michigan's 10 million residents in all 68 Lower Peninsula counties.
The DER/ Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) Engineering Design Division provides critical and quality engineering services to our customers. DER/I&C Engineering is responsible for design of instrumentation and controls primarily within High Voltage Distribution substations, also design distribution SCADA, Generating plant interfaces and Distributed Energy Resource interfaces. The division supports technical work on projects ranging in scope from complete new electric substations down to single I&C device modifications and change-outs, and responsibilities also include smart/intelligent I&C devices on electric lines.
Job Description/ Responsibilities
The Integration Engineer/Supervisor will interface with multiple departments identifying business and technical needs, shaping the future of electric grid integration. With responsibility
for participating in and eventually leading the engineering and integration of hardware and software for smart/programmable/configurable devices, substation network devices and legacy electrical devices in electric substations and on electric lines. This engineering and integration position will support the detailed design of multiple projects reflected in the design drawings produced by others in the I&C Division.
The Integration Engineer/Supervisor will work "hands-on" in a lab environment, where system prototyping, test setups and integration of devices will be common. Typical devices encountered will be programmable automation controllers, communications devices, network devices, SCADA remote terminal units (RTU), protective and control relays, meters, transformer monitors/controllers, transducers and generic controls for intelligent electrical devices (IEDs). Additionally, as a working supervisor, the individual will perform supervisory functions as required.
The ideal candidate will also have:
- Prior experience leading a technical team
- Strong analytical skills
- Excellent, clear oral and written communications skills and customer relations skills
- A positive attitude, strong work ethic and self-motivation
- A dedicated interest in integration, connectivity design, networking, programming and configuration of intelligent electrical devices
- The ability to work successfully in a diverse team environment and with employees of varying technical skills and administrative levels
- A flexible approach and the ability to adapt to changing technologies, industry trends and emerging regulatory requirements
This position will be located at the Parnall Road facility in Jackson, MI. Remote will be considered.
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering from an ABET accredited program
- 8 or more years of applied ABET exempt engineering work experience.
The following skills and experience will set a candidate apart:
- Prior MS Access, MS Excel, MS Word skills
- Prior experience with programmable/configurable devices, such as RTUs, PLCs, PACs, protective relays, regulator and recloser controls
- Prior experience with device connectivity and/or integration
- Experience with the IEC-61131 programming suite
- Experience with the DNP-3.0 protocol, both serial and IP
- Experience programming in a high level object-oriented language is required. (VB.NET is preferred)
- A desire to learn this skill (VB.NET) will also be considered
- Planning, design, construction, and maintenance of Electric and Gas Distribution and Electric Generation systems as well as facilities and ancillary support process for all utility operations.
- Duties and who this individual reports to will fluctuate between projects, Practice Areas, and offices.
- Individual possesses the skills lead, problem solve, and work well in a team environment. Individual should exemplify safe work practices and follow the company's compliance standards.
- Lead and/or assist with engineering projects to include design, plans, inspections, system planning, specifications, reports, contracts, schedules, estimates, data collection, construction observation, and field investigation.
- Provide engineering services with accuracy, integrating all applicable governmental and company laws, standards and procedures on time and under budget.
- Use computer assisted engineering, design, and drafting software and equipment to prepare engineering and design documents.
- Understand and follow company established standard procedures for file structure and standard drawing procedures for projects. Become familiar with plans and specifications, and related material for each project and be able to utilize the information appropriately.
- Assists in client contact and communication.
- Utilize effective oral and written communication skills to provide technical expertise to coworkers, clients, customers, government entities and the public.
- Attend internal and external meetings.
- Provide all engineering services in a legal and ethical manner. Resolve all customer complaints in a timely manner.
- Serve as onsite project representative. Regular attendance is expected.
Hours and Travel
This position requires the individual work a minimum of 40 hours per week (40-50 typical) with 95+% of time spent in the office. Travel is occasionally required to job sites and project meetings. Individuals need to be willing to work additional hours as necessary to meet deadlines and may assist with storm restoration activities. Individuals must have a valid driver's license.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; stand; walk; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Must be able to stand and walk for periods of up to and beyond eight hours in all kinds of weather; snow, mud, dirt water, ice, etc. The employee frequently is required to talk or hear. The employee must frequently lift and move up to ten pounds and occasionally lift and move up to fifty pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must be able to work safely in an electrical lab environment. The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The noise level on the construction site is often loud. Individual must have the ability to work up to 16 continuous hours during emergent work.
Position will be filled at the appropriate salary grade based upon the skills, knowledge, and experience of the selected candidate.
All qualified applicants will not be discriminated against and will receive consideration for employment without regard to protected veteran status, disability, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.