Metro Health is seeking Behavioral Health Technician - for 24hrs/wk shift.
The Behavioral Health Technician, assists the nursing staff by providing continual observation of the patient in order to maintain patient safety. Ensures safety of the patient, patient environment, and interacts appropriately with patients. Under the direction and supervision of a Registered Nurse (RN), the behavioral health technician assists nursing staff in providing basic nursing care to patients and assisting with activities of daily living.
- High School diploma required.
- Ability to communicate appropriately to staff and patients.
- Knowledgeable of infection prevention including hand hygiene and standard precautions.
- Demonstrates knowledge of and respect for patient rights and confidentiality.
- Basic computer operation skills.
- Completion of behavioral health education/training within 90 days of hire
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
- Patient Safety: Continuously observe patients and report behavior changes, problems or difficulties to nursing staff in a timely and effective manner. Monitors patient environment at all times to ensure safety. Attempt to redirect, notify nursing, or push stat alarm for any patient, on fall precautions, attempting to independently get out of bed, wheelchair, or chair. Intervenes should a patient be in an at-risk situation for a fall.
- Activity and Comfort: Assist with activity and provide for comfort. This responsibility includes making unoccupied beds and assisting nursing staff with making occupied beds; assisting nursing staff with turning and positioning patients in bed; and assisting nursing staff/transport staff with transferring patients using chairs, wheelchairs, slideboards, stretchers, cardiac chairs and lifts.
- Hygiene: Assist with hygiene activities. This responsibility includes washing patient’s hands and face and combing hair; assisting nursing staff with giving patients complete baths.
- Nutrition: Assist patients with nutrition and offers fluids as ordered to maintain hydration. This responsibility includes setting up trays and feeding patients who are not at risk for aspiration and notifying the RN if the patient is having problems eating.
- Elimination: Assist patients with elimination needs. This responsibility includes giving patients urinals and bedpans; emptying urinals and bedpans and notifying/documenting nursing staff of amount; and assisting patients who are not at increased risk for fall with using bedside commodes.
- Equipment: Use equipment and supplies safely and appropriately.
- Infection Prevention: Function to prevent the spread of infection. This responsibility includes using effective hand hygiene; adhering to universal/standard precautions; caring appropriately for patients with special isolation precautions; passing clean linen and bagging and disposing of soiled linen.
- Documentation: Document care given, mental health precautions flow sheet, behavioral changes, and other as directed by RN.
- Communication: Communicate effectively. This responsibility includes using the telephone system and Vocera system, reporting observations to the RN; keeping the RN informed of care delivered; notifying the RN when family is present; and maintaining patient confidentiality. Works with interdisciplinary team to develop and implement the plan of care.
- Orientation: Successful completion of department-specific core competencies as defined in the Behavioral Health Technician Initial Competency Evaluation.
- Talk with patient, read to patient, reorient patient to time, place, and self
- Perform other tasks appropriate to scope of practice as delegated by the RN
- Actively participate in maintaining a clean, safe, and efficient work environment
- Attend and participate in meetings and in-services related to job description
- Performs other duties as assigned. These may include but are not limited to: Maintaining a current knowledge base of department processes, protocols and procedures, pursuing self-directed learning and continuing education opportunities, and participating on committees, task forces, and work groups as determined by management.
Requisition #: req2852
FTE status: 0.6