Essential Job Functions (Functions essential to attaining job objectives):
· Affects an arrest, forcibly if necessary, using handcuffs and other restraints.
· Pursues fleeing suspects on foot, both day and night, in unfamiliar terrain.
· Subdues resisting subjects using hands and feet while employing defensive tactics maneuvers or approved nonlethal weapons.
· Climbs over obstacles; climbs through openings; jumps down from elevated surfaces; jumps over obstacles, ditches and streams; and crawls in confined areas to pursue, search, investigate and/or rescue.
· Uses body force to gain entrance through barriers to search, seize, investigate and/or rescue.
· Enters and exits vehicles quickly to perform rescue operations, pursues a suspect or answers an emergency call.
· Loads, unloads, aims, and accurately fires handguns, shotguns, and other agency firearms from a variety of body positions in situations that justify the use of deadly force while maintaining emotional control under extreme stress.
· Performs tasks which require lifting, carrying, or dragging people or heavy objects while performing arrests, rescues or general patrol functions.
· Performs law enforcement patrol functions while working rotating shifts or with variable off days, and unanticipated overtime.
· Conducts searches of buildings, homes and outdoor areas which may involve walking and standing for long periods of time and which requires the ability to see from a distance, to distinguish color and perceive shapes as well as discern smells, tastes and tactile sensations.
· Conducts visual and audio surveillance for extended periods of time.
· Performs searches of persons which involve touching and feeling to detect potential weapons and contraband.
· Operates an emergency vehicle during both the day and night; in emergency and pursuit situations involving speeds in excess of posted limits while exercising due care and caution and in exception to traffic control devices; in congested traffic and in unsafe road conditions and environmental conditions such as fog, smoke, rain, ice and snow.
· Operates mobile data terminal located in patrol vehicle to query computerized law enforcement data with appropriate accuracy and proficiency.
· Communicates effectively over law enforcement radio channels while initiating and responding to radio communications, often under adverse conditions such as siren usage and high speed vehicle operation.
· Communicates directly with people, giving information, directions and commands while listening effectively.
· Reads and comprehends rules, regulations, policies, procedures, and the law for purposes of ensuring appropriate officer behavior/response and performing enforcement activities involving the public.
· Exercises independent judgment within legal guidelines, to determine when there is reasonable suspicion to detain, when probable cause exits to search and arrest, and when force may be used and to what degree.
· Manages interpersonal conflicts to maintain order.
· Interacts and deal effectively with people from various social, ethnic and cultural backgrounds in range of interpersonal situations, demonstrating appropriate courtesy and respect for individual rights.
· Gathers information in criminal investigations by interviewing and obtaining the statements of victims, witnesses, suspects, and confidential informant.
· Prepares investigative and other reports, including sketches, using appropriate grammar, symbols, and mathematical computations.
· Testifies as a witness in court.
· Performs CPR and other lifesaving and rescue techniques on individuals in situations requiring immediate action, using appropriate procedures and safety precautions.
· Demonstrates predictable and regular attendance.