This position is under the direct supervision of the Executive Director. It is responsible for fleet maintenance, repair parts, inventory, and is responsible for the garage, its contents, and the grounds. This is a full-time position, Monday – Friday, 7:00a.m. - 4:00p.m. including emergency on-call.
- Plan and perform preventive maintenance and repairs on the fleet and other service contracts.
- Within mechanics and facility’s capability, perform all necessary repairs on the fleet.
- Advise Executive Director on needs of the garage, tools, service and maintenance program.
- Arrange for a competent vendor to perform work on the fleet for repairs beyond mechanics or facility’s capability or necessary due to time constraints.
- Be familiar with the specific maintenance needs of each particular vehicle of the fleet.
- Schedule vehicles for maintenance and repair, in consultation with the Lead Dispatcher, giving consideration to the needs of the fleet.
- Be willing to respond to calls for service at all times unless on vacation.
- Maintain parts and supply inventory at a level in accordance with guidelines set up by the Executive Director and the needs of the fleet.
- Maintain and periodically review maintenance records on vehicles in the fleet.
- Be responsible for general order and cleanliness of garage and maintenance areas, organizing the garage and advising the Executive Director on procedures and rules needed in the garage area.
- Procurement - Advise Executive Director on the suitability of vehicles to be purchased or specifications to be issued for vehicle acquisition.
- Attend driver’s meetings at the request of the Executive Director.
- Provide training and instruction to drivers on pre-trip inspections, maintenance, proper operation, and vehicle check-out, as required.
- Ability and willingness to respond to and communicate with drivers and other personnel in a courteous manner.
- Periodically perform safety checks on vehicles in the fleet.
- Willing and capable of being educated on computers, for use of preventive maintenance and other maintenance-related programs.
- Ability to install, maintain & review camera system on fleet and building.
- Able and willing to attend available training and learning seminars, relating to job duties.
- Maintain and review facility maintenance and building inspections as per plan.
- Serve as a fill-in driver when the needs of the service dictate and maintenance workload allows.
- Keep garage area and parking lot snow-plowed, as needed.
- Supervise bus maintenance assistant or community service workers, if used.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel.
Minimum Employment Qualifications
Education: High School Education or G.E.D. equivalent.
Certifications: CDL License with P endorsement or ability to obtain
Experience: At least five (5) years of vehicle maintenance, with two (2) years bus/diesel experience.
Estimated On-The-Job Training Period: Three (3) months
Physical Effort Required: May involve lifting or moving objects up to 100 lbs.
The qualifications above are guidelines: alternative qualifications may be substituted if sufficient to perform the duties.