INSTRUCTIONAL PROGRAM AIDES - SPECIAL EDUCATION
• 1 position available at Cherry Creek Elementary School (9am-3:45pm)
• 1 position available at Graveraet Elementary School (9am-3:45pm)
• 1 position available at Superior Hills Elementary School (9am-3:45pm)
• 1 position available at Marquette Senior High School (7:30am-2:30pm)
• School term, student attendance days.
• Previous experience working with students preferred.
• $10.00-$11.91/hr based on education & experience
• Approx. 32.5 hours per week
MARQUETTE AREA PUBLIC SCHOOLS
INSTRUCTIONAL PROGRAM AIDE—SPECIAL EDUCATION
(MESPA II Class B Position)
REPORTS TO: Special Education Teacher/Consultant, Building Administrator, and/or Special Ed Supervisor
RATIONALE: Under the guidance of the Special Education Teacher/Consultant, assists in providing for the individual needs of special education students.
- High school graduate (or equivalent) and some college preparation preferred.
- Background/experience in working with, coaching, tutoring, or mentoring at-risk/special education students.
- Passing score of 85% or higher on the TABE literacy, writing, and math test preferred.
- Effective communication skills (usage, grammar, and vocabulary), both oral and written.
- Basic computer skills required and willingness to learn additional software/hardware if needed (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, data base, management information system).
- Willingness to be trained in instructional strategies, including multi-sensory structured reading approach, reading recovery and writing workshop.
- High energy level, creative problem-solving ability, and sensitivity to the needs of students.
- Ability to maintain a high level of ethical behavior and confidentiality.
- Ability to work with and relate to students positively and with enthusiasm.
- Ability to show initiative to follow through on activities without continuous teacher direction.
- Ability to model and facilitate children's learning activities to help them achieve goals stated by Individual Educational Programs.
- Ability to model teacher's positive reinforcement techniques.
- Genuine interest in and aptitude for working with children with learning, emotional, and/or physical disabilities.
- Must have or be willing to obtain and maintain certification in CPI/HWC training (crisis prevention intervention / handle with care) and must be able to perform CPI/HWC training or equivalent.
- Ability to lift students as necessary, and assist with their personal needs (feeding, bathroom, physical, support equipment, etc.).
- Must meet health requirements as required by performance responsibilities.
- Alternatives to the above qualifications as the Board of Education may find appropriate and acceptable.
- Works with individual students or small groups of students to help them master skills as directed by the Special Education Teacher/Consultant--in the learning resources room, regular classrooms, or other designated places.
- Assists in tutoring students using the multi-sensory structured language methods for reading and spelling.
- Assists students to attain math concepts/skills through use of manipulatives, alternative strategies, and adaptive techniques.
- Assists students with regular classroom assignments/skills such as note-taking, preparing written reports or stories, comprehending content area reading, handwriting, studying for tests, and test-taking.
- Maintains communication between the special education teacher and classroom teachers regarding student progress, concerns, needs, or other pertinent information.
- Assists teacher in handling children when their behavior is not under control. Performs crisis intervention, de-escalation and restraint procedures as needed.
- Assists with record keeping.
- Operates technology and equipment used for instructional or communicative purposes.
- Assists in preparing teaching materials and gathering resources for students.
- Checks and monitors progress of students on a daily basis and provides written reports as requested.
- Assists with the personal needs of students (feeding, bathroom, physical, medical, equipment, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty that will be required of positions that will be given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of any supervisor to assign, direct, and control the work of employees under his/her supervision. The use of a particular expression or illustration describing duties shall not be held to exclude other duties not mentioned that are of similar kind or level of difficulty.