Set up and operate a variety of machine tools to produce precision parts and instruments. Includes precision instrument makers who fabricate, modify, or repair mechanical instruments. May also fabricate and modify parts to make or repair machine tools or maintain industrial machines, applying knowledge of mechanics, shop mathematics, metal properties, layout, and machining procedures.
1) Calculate dimensions and tolerances using knowledge of mathematics and instruments such as micrometers and calipers.
2) Machine parts to specifications using machine tools such as lathes, milling machines, shapers, or grinders.
3) Measure, examine, and test completed units in order to detect defects and ensure conformance to specifications, using precision instruments such as micrometers.
4) Set up, adjust, and operate all of the basic machine tools and many specialized or advanced variation tools in order to perform precision machining operations.
5) Align and secure holding fixtures, cutting tools, attachments, accessories, and materials onto machines.
6) Monitor the feed and speed of machines during the machining process.