Under the direction of the Director of Plant Operations, the First Response employee is responsible for the following:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
A. Serves as the after business hours contact person for residents' needs and/or emergencies. Monitors building's security, and contact person for emergency response personnel.
1. On beginning your shift, walk the interior and exterior, and notice any situation.
2. Write a Maintenance Work Order for any of the following:
a. Interior or exterior lights burned out
b. Potential trip hazards
c. In winter, look for icicles hanging and write a work order if needed.
d. Make sure all entrance doors are locked.
e. Write work orders for any other items seen and leave them in the First Response Book for the Drake Building.
3. When a resident pulls the emergency cord, you need to respond and call 911 if necessary. NEVER OFFER FIRST AID OR TRY TO PICK UP A RESIDENT. If EMS transports the resident, get the Vial of Life and call their family member and let them know what hospital the person has been taken to. Write an Incident Report and leave in the First Response Book. The First Response book needs to be dropped off to Central Office Monday through Friday by 9:00 a.m. & picked up by 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
4. If the smoke alarm goes off, assess the situation. If it’s a minor situation, remind the resident to use the exhaust fan located in the kitchen, reset the alarm and write an Incident Report and follow the above procedure.
5. When there is a minor maintenance problem (plugged toilet, garbage disposal not working) proceed with minor maintenance; use the plunger or check the reset button. When it’s more of a major maintenance issue, read the memo from Director of Plant Operations stating what is considered an after hours maintenance emergency (copy of memo will be attached) and call Designated Contact.
6. Communicate with the resident on the status.
7. Change a light bulb if absolutely necessary.
8. Change battery in the smoke detector. The batteries are kept in the manager’s office; second office inside cabinet closest to the window.
9. If a fire occurs, after the Fire Department has taken care of the situation, immediately notify designated contact.
10. Make sure everything gets recorded in the Log Book e.g. false alarms, pull cords, phone calls received, lock outs, etc.
The procedure is to look at the Emergency List of who is On Call for Maintenance (the phone numbers are listed) and call that number or call the maintenance cell phone or maintenance pager. If the call is not returned within 30-45 minutes, call the Designated Contact at home and leave a message if necessary. The Designated Contact carries the Maintenance pager only when the "On Call for Maintenance" personnel is on duty. If that fails, call the Director of Plant Operations at home or on his/her cell phone. DO NOT LEAVE A MESSAGE ON CELL PHONE. ONLY LEAVE A MESSAGE ON HOME PHONE if needed.
If a resident is locked out of their apartment, it is your responsibility to verify they are the resident (check the resident roster in the First Response book.) If possible, ask for I.D. and then give them access and write an Incident Report as well as complete the Lock Out Form. Tell the resident there is a charge of $10 after three times of being locked out.
On weekends during the winter months, assess the sidewalks and parking lots and if snow removal is necessary, call Designated Contact.
If you are not able to cover your shift, it is your responsibility to contact the First Responder you share the position with. If they can’t cover for you, you need to call the Designated Contact and he/she will assist in finding a replacement. If you are unable to reach the Designated Contact, call the Director of Plant Operations. Note: If you change days with the other First Responder, it must be approved prior to the change. The schedules in the First Response Book must be kept updated.
B. Courtesy/Customer Service is to:
1. Respect and be considerate to residents, guests and co-workers.
2. Answer (to the best of your abilities) residents, visitors, and co-workers questions, needs, and wants.
C. Personal Appearance for Females and Males:
1. Wear approved uniform shirt
2. Shorts or variations of shorts are permitted but need to be to the knee.
3. Skirts and split skirts to the knee are permitted.
4. No heavy jewellery, heavy cosmetics or perfumes are permitted.
5. Wear shoes with nonskid soles and firm leather uppers.
1. Wear (Facility) name badge when on duty.
2. Act in a respectable manner in dealing with residents, guests, and staff at all times.
E. Attendance Duties are to:
1. Set an example of continuous attendance by keeping absences from work at an absolute minimum.
2. Attend all department staff meeting and Facility mandatory in-services as scheduled.